Saturday, April 20, 2013

Smokey Stew

I can always find plenty of leftover smoked meat in my fridge this time of year. My husbands philosophy is "if I'm going to fire that thing up I'm gonna make it worth my time". So weather it's chicken, beef, pork or sausage I've always got a bowl of inspiration at my finger tips. My favorite, and one of the tastiest, uses for all that delicious meat is a slow cooker full of stew. I prefer doing things the freshest way possible so this one got plenty of help from my garden. If your in a hurry substitute where necessary.

4 Cups of smoked meat (more if you prefer) of any kind. It's better with a good variety of meats

Place the meat in a slow cooker on high for at least three hours. This allows the broth to capture the smokey flavor which really makes the so good. It also softens the meat so it can be cut or pulled. Once it is ready remove the meat and chop, or pull with two forks if you prefer. Return the meat to the crock pot.

In a sauce pan saute:
2 TBS of olive oil
2 cups onion,
1 cup green pepper
3 minced garlic cloves

until tender, but not too soft. Mix with meat

ADD to crock pot:

2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups yellow squash
2 cups green squash
2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 Ears of corn with kernels removed and cobs discarded (to compost I hope)

Dices, or slice all vegetables. Add carrots to crock pot first and let cook 1 hour. Lower temperature to medium add remaining vegetables and cover with lid. Let cook an additional two hours or until carrots are nice and tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment